Saturday, January 31, 2009

Cross training

Tired of not doing anything for 3 days and taking steroids for my back I decided to go break in the x country skis even though I'm not supposed to be doing anything for another 2 days. I hit the trail at 7:05 am and it was still dark. I really didn't want anybody to see me go head first into the snow. I only fell 3 times. When I x ski back in the 80's my turns weren't that good but I knew how to turn on slow downhills. i even did a race or two back then. We'll, I'm going to have to go many more times to get the hang of it again because I could not turn, hence the reason for my falls. After a mile or so the fluidity of it started to come back. It feels so good to slide on the snow or just lean forward and let it go on the downhills. I even had a hard time trying to snowplow myself to a stop. That's why the trees are there, just make sure you are not going too fast. I'll just have to go to the golf course where is flat. It was cold, 10 degrees to be exact. I had enough clothes on for two people but didn't feel uncomfortable. I was so anxious to hit the trail that I forgot the heater packs for my mittens and my fingers where like ice and had to stop often to rub them. When you are alone on the trail all you hear is your breath and the sound of the skis sliding on the snow. If you never x country ski, try sometime. And don't let them tell you x country skiing is for women like somebody I know told me. Maybe I should just let his wife know what type of a guy he is and I'm sure she'll fix him. And when I say fix, I mean "fix", right Lemont. That's not his real name but I know he'll get it. Tomorow we are getting a heat wave, 35 degrees. Time to go out for a ride. They are expecting a little snow but should be good riding weather for this time of the year. I'll take 35 degrees the whole month of February which is not going to happen, temps are going back into the teens and 20's next week with more snow on the way, wohooooo. I might sound like I'm contradicting myself here but now that I'm x skiing again, give me both.
















No comments:

Post a Comment