Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What happened during my commute one day last year

Since it's a Tales From The Commute blog I'll tell you a story of something that happened to me last summer.
When I commute to work I get up at 4am, (yes 4am) I get ready and I'm out the door by 5.
Lights on, blinkers on you name it. Hey, I want to be seen. My friend Tom says that he doesn't like to ride behind me because I look like a Christmas tree. I can't remember but I think it's 5-6 blinkers in total, it's dark out there you know. Anyway since it was summer it's already clear out by 6am which is the time I'm hitting the bike and hike of route 82 here in Ohio. It's about a 3 mile ride to the next road on the path. There's all kinds of birds, deer, the occasional skunk and yes those pesky little wabbits. One warm morning they were all over the place running next to me in front of me and darting in front of me. Well this particular one wasn't very smart, he decided to run next to me and then cross to the other side of the path. He made what could be called a fatal mistake, he turned at the wrong time and went straight through my spokes. What a sight fur flying all over the place. I never stopped I didn't want to know or see what happened to the little dummy but I don't think he survived the encounter with the wheel, I had to wipe my bike when I got to work if you know what I mean. I'll be carrying a camera during my commute this year and if it happens again I'll stop and you'll get to see what happened to him.
Got to go, it's a half hour past my bed time.

No comments:

Post a Comment