Monday, January 26, 2009

Easy Week

This is supposed to be my easy week. I'm trying 3 hard weeks and 1 week easy and see how my training goes. So far so good. this week comes at the right time. I went to see the doctor for my back again today and I knew something was up when he looks at me straight in the eyes and says " you are not going to like this, but you need to take it real easy for the next 5 days". The pain has been geting worse and the drooling pills (muscle relaxers) he gave me 4 weeks ago didn't do anything. My right side is inflamed and he put me on the 5 day dose of steroids plus a few x rays even though he said the x rays are not going to show anything. I have some type of disk problem, hopefully my Physical Therapist son will read this and come running home to help his dad with some therapy, you reading this? Anyway, two summers ago my doc. said the same thing to me when I had a bit of problem with my right hip flexor muscle, actually it was a big problem and riding up to 200 miles a week didn't help. It only got better when fall and winter finally arrived and I rode less. I called the cavalry to sub my spinning classes and I'll take it easy the rest of the week. Which means I may not go out and give my new cross country skis the first workout. Hmmm, I don't know about that. Hey they say steroids make you irritable, maybe I can irritate my lovely wife enough that she'll kick me out and tell me to go ski and give her some peace and quiet. She does her part to be in good phisical shape. She likes to do the elliptical and the treadmill and she's been running for a while. I try to give her encouragement all the time. Like today, she's saying I don't feel good, not tonight honey I have a headache. What a good husband to do, I tell her is just another excuse not to exercise. First she gives me a dirty look says a few things and the next thing I now I hear the elliptical going, guilty, guilty, guilty.Yesterday when I came in with my new skis the first thing she tells me is, "you paid how much for two sticks", sticks she called my skis. I just had to shake my head and almost laugh.How did I jump to this subject when I was talking about my back. I'm writing the same way I talk, jumping from here to there and everywhere. Let's see what the week on steroids brings me. I hope the dope control officers don't show up at my door and make me pee in a cup.I'll keep you posted on the irritability meter. They also say steroids make you gain weight because you feel like eating all the time. I'll have to keep and eye out for that. All of the sudden I have the urge to eat ice cream with M & M's on top. Got a go, I'll write again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment