Friday, March 13, 2009

1st road race tomorrow

Tomorrow I'll be driving down to Mid-Ohio race track for my first road race of the year. 18 laps 37 miles around the 2.5 mile rack. This is not your usual race track, this one actually has some short climbs and downgrades and a few turns. Should be a lot of fun.
I was getting ready for tomorrow cleaning the bike and getting all kinds of clothes ready for tomorrow ( the beauty of racing in the mid-west) and found my old Kestrel frame. I loved that bike. Destroyed it when it hit the top of my garage driving in. This is how it happenned.
Back in 2002 I was commuting to work Mondays and Fridays on Wednesdays my wife would drive me to work (she's a teacher, no work during the summer) and I would ride back. But in the morning I would go to the gym and then pick her up and drive to work. Well, I went to the gym and came back to pick her up and parked on the driveway and went in to get my lunch. It started raining really hard and since I'm the greatest living husband, I ran outside to pull the car in so she wouldn't get her "hair" wet. She heard the crash and the carbon twisting and screaming in pain and came running downstairs and found me with the front end on the left hand and the rest of the bike on my right hand. She wishes she had a camera at that moment because I look like a little kid that had just lost his candy. After a few seconds I looked at her yell some cuss word and told her she didn't have to take me to work that day and left. Since she's the greatest living wife she called me a couple of hours later to let me now the garage door was fine and it didn't even scratched it. What a relief.
I have searched e-bay for another frame but to no avail. Maybe one day I'll find one because I would like to have one again. It was my first ever carbon bike back in 1992, not many people had carbon bikes back then.

2 comments:

  1. Juan...good luck at the race man! CRUSH THEM LIKE LITTLE BUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Matt, I'll do my best.

    ReplyDelete